Todd Rundgren says he's still processing Rock Hall nod; quips that he's expecting posthumous induction
Written by Classic Rock 93.9 on December 5, 2018
Todd Rundgren just announced plans to launch what’s being billed as “the world’s first hybrid concert/book tour” in 2019 to promote his forthcoming memoir, The Individualist, but before that, the prolific artist will discover whether he’ll be honored with induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
Rundgren’s been eligible for induction since 1995, but this was his first nomination, and he tells ABC Radio that he’s surprised the Rock Hall finally acknowledged him.
“I continue to process it,” he says, adding jokingly, “I had always expected that it would be a posthumous award, so I’m scheming my own death right now.”
The 70-year-old singer, songwriter and producer maintains that he’s “never paid attention” to the annual honors, noting that it “comes off as a competition sometimes, and…I don’t like competing with other musicians for things.”
Rundgren reveals, “I’ve never watched the ceremonies. I don’t have any beefs or gripes about who does or doesn’t get nominated.” He also says he doesn’t understand how the inductees are chosen, calling it “a very mysterious process.”
One aspect of the Rock Hall induction process that Todd does like is the fan vote.
“I’ve always been proud of the loyalty that my fans have shown to me,” Rundgren says, “so I think it’s a good opportunity for them to demonstrate it. Having said that, Todd points out that “essentially, all those fan votes count for one out of a thousand votes.”
Thanks to his fans, Rundgren is third in the online poll, behind Def Leppard and Stevie Nicks. The poll closes on Monday, December 9, and the 2019 inductees will be announced soon after that.
As previously reported, Rundgren’s memoir, The Individualist, will be released on December 21, and his tour in support of the book begins in April.
Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.